UPDATED: Atlanta Airport shooting was accidental, FBI says

An FBI spokesman in Atlanta said early Wednesday that investigators believe that gunshots fired in the Atlanta Airport were accidental, resulting from a gun inadvertently going off during a security screening process.

Two police officers and a flight attendant were shot at just after 8 p.m. local time Tuesday, in a middle section of the airport known as Terminals A, B and C. The officers are expected to recover from their injuries, but the flight attendant, who has not been identified, remains hospitalized in critical condition.

The shooting occurred as Transportation Security Administration officers worked with American Airlines crew members to board a passenger flight to Miami. The Delta Flight from Atlanta was supposed to leave the airport just after 8 p.m. local time.

The TSA said earlier that the officer who was struck was a member of its Aviation Security Security team.

“While working security to ensure passengers were getting onto the plane, a TSA officer was shot,” an agency statement said. “This is an on-going investigation, and we will provide updates as they become available.”

The officers had been meeting with Delta crews to give them a “last chance” pass for passengers who needed to pass through security, according to airport police. Police and paramedics responded to a call about shots fired just past 8 p.m. and rushed to a secure area near the airport’s main terminal, where they found two injured TSA officers and a flight attendant who had been shot. Police said the officer who was struck had been trying to subdue the suspect.

In a statement, Delta Air Lines said that a flight attendant was wounded.

“Delta’s emergency response team is with our flight attendant, who is currently being treated at Grady Memorial Hospital,” Delta said. “Delta will provide further updates as additional information becomes available.”

Atlanta is the third-busiest airport in the United States, and it’s possible that the shooting may have disrupted flights because the airport saw numerous delays on Tuesday night.

Leave a Comment